Altair Releases PBS Professional 12.0, with 40 Percent Faster Scheduling, Innovative Utilization Features and Additional Plug-Ins for Execution Events
Troy, Mich., Jan. 15, 2013 – Altair
today introduced PBS Professional 12.0
, the latest version of its globally popular workload management and job scheduling solution for high-performance computing, with exceptional new features that dramatically speed scheduling and boost utilization and agility.
“PBS Professional 12.0 advances Altair’s technology significantly farther along the road to exascale systems, in which clusters will grow from today’s tens of thousands of processors to a million or more,” said Bill Nitzberg, chief technology officer for PBS Works at Altair. “Our latest release is faster, is more robust and offers better utilization. The HPC landscape is changing faster than ever around Clouds, Green, GPUs, and co-processors making customization key. Our new plug-ins provide the agility needed to keep up with this ever changing landscape.”
PBS Professional 12.0 offers new capabilities that increase the efficiency and flexibility of high-performance computing, including:
Faster scheduling and start-up
Higher utilization through a new “shrink-to-fit” feature
- New scheduler optimizations provide 40 percent faster scheduling for complex workloads.
- Additionally, power-on is more than 10 times faster than previously achievable, with huge clusters able to start up in less than a minute. This means that systems can recover from computer-room power failures more rapidly than ever before.
- PBS Professional 12.0 also enables new racks of systems to be configured 10 times faster— in seconds, rather than minutes, even for extremely large systems.
- The rapid-start capabilities of PBS Professional 12.0 also apply to interactive/debug jobs. Users become more productive by virtually eliminating waiting time before starting interactive jobs, where policies permit and resources are available.
- Shrink-to-fit allows users to run jobs—or portions of jobs—in the period immediately before a planned maintenance outage. Typically, computer systems remain unused for several hours prior to an outage because insufficient time is available to complete a job that may take many more hours to run. PBS Professional 12.0 fills those holes with malleable “shrink-to-fit” jobs, allowing useful work to be accomplished during the pre-outage period when otherwise no jobs would be running on the system and thereby providing greater than 95 percent utilization. Jobs get done sooner and scheduling of the computing systems operates more efficiently.
- One Altair beta customer reported they were able to reclaim 800,000 CPU hours over two months by using shrink-to-fit to run jobs prior to outages.
Plug-ins for “execution events”
- PBS Professional 12.0 introduces the second major component of Altair’s plug-in infrastructure, allowing users to control, modify, extend and change job lifecycle events in the execution stage. Earlier, Altair released plug-ins for job submission filtering, provisioning, and scheduling. The latest plug-in allows for health checks prior to starting the job, filtering and changing computer behavior when the job starts and ensuring cleanup is correct.
PBS Professional 12.0 is built with increased hardening for Windows platforms, and the new release is Windows 8 compatible. Its broad platform support ensures that PBS Professional runs everywhere, including on the latest platforms such as Windows Server 2012, SGI UV2, SGI ICE-X and Cray CLE 4.1.
PBS Professional 12.0 is available for download at http://www.pbsworks.com.
About PBS Works
PBS Works™, Altair's suite of on-demand cloud computing technologies, allows enterprises to maximize ROI on existing infrastructure assets. PBS Works is the most widely implemented software environment for managing grid, cloud, and cluster computing resources worldwide. Its flagship product, PBS Professional®, allows enterprises to easily share distributed computing resources across geographic boundaries. With additional tools for portal-based submission, analytics, and data management, the PBS Works suite is a comprehensive solution for optimizing HPC environments. Leveraging a revolutionary “pay-for-use” unit-based business model, PBS Works delivers increased value and flexibility over conventional software-licensing models. Visit www.pbsworks.com to learn more about how PBS Works makes high-performance computing faster, smarter and more productive.
Altair empowers client innovation and decision-making through technology that optimizes the analysis, management and visualization of business and engineering information. Privately held, with 1,800 employees, Altair has offices throughout North America, South America, Europe and Asia/Pacific. With a 27-year track record for high-end software for engineering and computing, enterprise analytics solutions, and innovative product design and development, Altair consistently delivers a competitive advantage to customers in a broad range of industries. To learn more, please visit www.altair.com or www.simulatetoinnovate.com.